- Robb Beal
|prediction, inference, learn from data||find max/min, human-in-the-loop, evaluation|
- Machine Learning as molecular gastronomy
|max/min||Interactive: the optimization happens in using the product|
- variables, what min and max
- ask optmizer, given bounds above
- have users evaluate the UI thru representative task (observation)
- feed value metric of observation, back to 3
distance, delay, decay, etc (metrics)
- distance, delay, decay
- brightness, contrast, saturation, color balance (3)
Refining Visual Designs: 6 iterations
Humans are good at comparative judging
cultural considerations: if they dont share a culture, human-in-the-middle doesnt help.
3-20 inependent design dimensions
10-1000 of human observations
diamond chart (definition/execution)
a/b test dont tell a lot about optimal design dimension
[Oculus Connect 6: Introducing Hand Tracking on Oculus Quest, Facebook Horizon, and More Oculus](https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-connect-6-introducing-hand-tracking-on-oculus-quest-facebook-horizon-and-more/)
- gesture recognition
- visual metaphors: images that convey a message symbolically
- are both object identifiable?
- are they integrated?
[VisiBlends, a New Approach to Disrupt Visual Messaging Columbia Engineering](https://engineering.columbia.edu/press-releases/lydia-chilton-visiblends)
- geometric shape matching
- SymbolFinder: AI Tools for Creative Work
- VisiFit: AI Tools to Iteratively Improve Visual Blends
- Noun to noun combinations. noun to verb combinations
- Lydia Chilton!!!
- data science for business
- computational interaction
- People + AI Guidebook
- School on Computational Interation
- Machine Learning & User Experience (MLUX) - meetup, SF
- Sentiment, etc: Multi-objective, trade-off
- how do you pick the right variables?
- design skills
- contingency design: what to do when it fails?
- defining the variables that matter
- personalized interfaces, after a couple of uses, struggle, adaptation